First a word of warning: Stay clear of any soy products. They can seriously fuck up your health. You don’t want to go down that road.
I’m proud to say that by means of this here tear-down, I’ve transformed this kitchen appliance into a much safer state. I’ll transport the remains to my local recycling-center tomorrow – minus a couple of parts that went into storage ;-)
A few words about the points mentioned on the above image:
Yes, there are a lot of nutrients in soy-beans. Yes, they are cheap. Yes, by making the ‘milk’ yourself, you won’t get the ‘benefit’ of added preservatives. Yes, self-made soy-milk can be used to make tofu.
But, soy-beans also contain other stuff: hormone-like substances that can lead to infertility, problems with your immune-system, depressed thyroid function, anti-nutrients that prevent or reduce absorption of vital nutrients. Why is that the case? Well, the soy-plant wants to protect itself from being eaten of course.
Before soy was fed to pigs (after heavy processing to remove its poisonous effects), the US of A used soy-protein to make plastic. Soy was used as a fertilizer-plant to improve corn production, Japan used soy to fertilize their rice fields. Except for soy-sauce, that vile stuff was never a major part of any human or live-stock diet.
And now back to the topic of this post. Tear-down images, lots of them:
Here are some data-sheets of some components that tickled my interest:
Two of the BTA16 are paralleled to drive the heating element. Interestingly each one of them got their own opto-driver. Unfortunately I didn’t check if the safe side of the opto-drivers were driven individually or in parallel as well.
The BTA08 is used to switch the motor.
I would have expected to find a small micro-controller in there, but they used a PLD. Probably to implement a couple of simple timers which control the cooking-cycle.
That’s all for now. I don’t plan to investigate the inner workings of this kitchen appliance any further. I have no interest in anything that supposedly makes soy fit for human consumption, except one thing: its total destruction.
What parts did I keep? Just a few. I wanted to keep the motor as well, but to be honest, I probably wouldn’t use it anyway. So I just kept these parts:
The TRIAC-module. This should be easy enough to use, should I ever need something like this. ZC opto-drivers are included + all the other stuff that is needed to make the TRIACs do their job, so I don’t have to deal with that at all. The input side is 5V, so perfect for micro-controllers.
I also kept a few small parts:
A simple switch, unfused IEC socket + power cord (not shown here), a nice class-X capacitor (1µF, 275V – not that I will ever need it… but it was small enough to fit into a box), a nice fan + metal cover + nuts & bolts, a small transformer (2x6V output, wired in series) and a small inductor (0.4Ohm, inductance < 10mH). Unfortunately my DMM doesn't measure anything below 10mH, it's a bit more useful in capacitance mode. And if that doesn't help, I've got a cheap cap-meter that measures everything from a couple of pF to 999µF [JyeTech]. EOF.