Small project #8 — ATtiny13 DFN10 programming adapter

There are DFN10 / QFN10 test-sockets, but these things cost close to 100 bucks, which I’m not (yet?) willing to spend on this.

If this should work, I would be able to add preprogrammed chips to some SMD DIY kits in the future.

t13-DFN10-prog-adapter-top t13-DFN10-prog-adapter-base

The result: it works :-)

IMGP9081

IMGP9082

I should add that I had to mill the center hole to correct dimensions, as I apparently oshpark doesn’t do internal cutouts with a small enough routing bit. At least not without making special arrangements.

Download design files

This entry was posted in Soldering & PCBs. and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Small project #8 — ATtiny13 DFN10 programming adapter

1. José Xavier says:

This is a great idea :)

Did you need to press the IC while programming or just put it there?
    Have the pcb traces the same width of the IC pads? In that case I think that if they are a little smaller the IC will fit better.

2. Henrik Bruun says:

Nice idea ;)
    Do you have some (eagle) schematics ?
    Have you tryed with TQFP-32 ?

no eagle files, sorry. You can have KiCad + gerber files though :-) The links are on the “Projects” page. Or just search on github.

I have not not built something like that for TQFP-32 chips, but it works as well enough. I just use breakout boards or old prototypes with that footprint and press the chip down with one finger. Good enough for programing a few, not the way to go for debugging.

3. Helmut says:

Hi Robert,
    nimm doch ein Gummiband und einen Korken,
    dann hast du den Finger frei.:-)

4. WarHawk-AVG says:

I made a ATtiny13A SSU programmer for our flashlight drivers

Not as nice or refined as your overlay ZIF socket (the centering/alignment plate is very ingenious!)…very very cool…definitely need to revise mine…excellent work!

Well, I don’t think you’d really need an alignment jig just for programming SO-8 chips. They’re huge! I use my trusty old index finger for that :-) You board will work just fine.