RGB LED Toy — first order at BatchPCB

For quite some time I have 19 SMD RGB LEDs sitting in one of my electronics boxes. It used to be 20, but I’ve ruined one while trying to solder it to perfboard. They are 3 single LEDs put into one package, no common anything. The board contains an ATmega168 chip, a few resistors, capacitors and headers and of course 8 RGB LEDs. I designed the board a few months ago, but never managed to have it made. It’s a good way of testing BatchPCB. The boards themselves are manufactured by Gold Phoenix. I’ve done business with them directly before, so I know the quality will be high – unless something goes wrong during the panelization.

For code and design files click on ‘Projects –> GIT repo’ in the menu above.

I’ve already discovered the first error. The LEDs are activated by PORTB. Unfortunately the pins are not ordered sequentially. Oh well, can’t get everything right the first time. At least it can be fixed with some code ;-)

All fixed.

Update 1: 01.12.2009:

BatchPCB have finally shipped the boards to me. Mine were on panel 553, while panle 580 had already been shipped back from GoldPhoenix. Either it was forgotten, lost or the panels get shipped back to them in random order. Now the only question that remains if whether they put my flawed design on the panel or the one I submitted a few minutes later. Of course I had sent them an email to let them know about that. Let’s find out if they read customer emails. If I’m lucky the boards arrive before xmas. Maybe the customs guys spare me with their curse this time. Waiting for more than 4 weeks is bad enough.

This entry was posted in Electronics., Soldering & PCBs. and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to RGB LED Toy — first order at BatchPCB

1. Helmut says:

Warum rund?

Because we can !

3. Helmut says:

Zu viel Verschnitt

Rund ist schoener.

5. Irfan says:

hi its greate project where can i find help to develop my own? or if i can buy this one?

I haven’t received the PCBs from batchpcb.com yet, so I haven’t had the chance to test the design for errors.

I used KiCAD to design the boards.

7. Jay Collett says:

Robert,

I built something along these lines as a Christmas gift for my neices. I have been using BatchPCB for some time, I like ’em as well as any other company I’ve used.

Hm, I can’t see anything when going to that link. Not even when I’m logged in. Seems they haven’t fully mastered their website yet. I’ve declared some of my designs as ‘public’, but they don’t show up in the list. The spark has yet to ark.

9. Alan Parekh says:

The pictures are great. How well does that LED mix colors when looking at it without something diffusing the light? The picture of the straight on LED that has the RGB halo is fantastic!

Well, the mixing is not particularly good. At least not if viewed withing an arm’s length. The individual LED chips stick out. I think it won’t matter if viewed from several meters away. Short distance perception is best with a white diffuser placed 1cm away from the LED. Once I get the PCBs (hopefully with the right design) I can do some more testing.

11. Jay Collett says:

@robert
    Yeah, have no idea why it’s not working, lol. I’ve used BatchPCB several times, quite happy with them. I built a ATTINY2313 controlled RGB board to replace the bulb in a IKEA lampan. I install a small button to control the modes, 15 in all. My only design flaw, well other would surely find more, is that I used one 3W resistor for each color (24 SuperFlux LEDs in total). Since they are all the same spec, it works, just didn’t want to solder on 64 0805 resistors…

12. Pingback: RGB LED Ring | The Express Art Blog

13. Rick says:

For circuit boards try PCB International. They have a special for 2 layer 100 square inches for $94.99, they have free e-test and you can have multiple designs at no extra charge. They are manufactured in Taiwan and their quality is excellent. Here is their site: http://www.pcbinternational.com