Who needs cheap MSOP10/TSSOP8 to DIP adapters ?

I’ve been planning to build a prototype driver for the Seeedstudio LED module (1, 2) for quite a while, but I just cannot get MSOP-DIP adapters that are reasonably priced. The cheapest single one I could find was 2.50€! The LT1618 boost driver chip I intend to use only comes in a MSOP10 package, and that is impossible to prototype on perfboard. The good thing is that I can use LTSpice to simulate the circuit. According to the simulation it is quite critical that the output capacitor is one with extremely low ESR. If I should make a DIY KIT out of this too, I might add an ATtiny13 (DIP) or similar to the driver, so it at least supports programmed dimming and up/down buttons.

So my question is this:

Is there anybody else out there in need of MSOP10/TSSOP8-DIP_300 adapters ? I’ve checked that if I had about 250 made, the price per board would be somewhere around 0.32€ or so. The boards would be green, 2 sided, silkscreen, no pins. First side: MSOP10, second side: TSSOP8. The price is what their website bot tells me, so I don’t know what they might do if they realize the amount of routing for this job ;-)

4015325163_ac85b8f7dc_o

This is just in the planning phase and production may take a few weeks. You’ve been warned.

Interested ? Drop me a message!

Update 1: 19.10.2009:

I’ve just ordered 15 panels (4×3 pcs.) of the adapters at makepcb.com – my second order with them. Let’s see what they say about the tiny boards and the amount of routing required for them. I keep repeating… I expect the boards to be delivered in some weeks, as I chose the slow service to save costs. Some data on the boards: 1mm double sided FR4, traces: 11mil, 2x silkscreen, 2x solder mask (green), RoHS compliant. As soon as I get these, I’ll post again here and the ones I won’t immediately need for the LT1618 boost converter prototype(s) will show up in the KIT shop.

According to this post on the forum of Dave’s formidable EE VBLOG, I shouldn’t trust the LTSpice simulation of the circuit too much (regarding the oscillations of the output current) and just build that circuit and see what happens. I hope I won’t be seeing nasty current oscillations on my scope, once I’ve built the prototype. If push comes to shove, I’ll just use smaller caps and parallelize them to get the ESR down. More on that later.

Here are the gerber files, just in case you want to build a little stash (or heap) of your own ;-)

G’day mates!

This entry was posted in DIY., Electronics., Soldering & PCBs. and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Who needs cheap MSOP10/TSSOP8 to DIP adapters ?

1. FlorinC says:

I would be interested in the assembled board, with LT1618 soldered.
    Keep up the good work!

2. Milarepa says:

Yes, please! I’d take a few of those.

3. Helmut says:

Wird die Spannung bei offenem Ausgang begrenzt?

Currently I don’t have any more adapters to spare.

You can get similar ones at nkcelectronics.

5. Orlando Castillo says:

Robert,

I’m interested in using the gerbers you provided for the MSOP10 to DIP adapter.
    I’m sort of a newbie to electronics/PCB design so apologies if this is a bad question, but I really want to get this done so I can use the LT1618 for a project I’m trying.

When I downloaded the files you provided, they had names like Edges, Copper, etc (in the gerber folder of the zip file), and had an extension “.pho”.

I’m submitting the Gerbers to Seeedstudio for the PCB design (http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/fusion-pcb-service-p-835.html?cPath=185). However, their site says they require the layers with different names and extensions; see below.

So my question is, Could you briefly clarify for me the relation between your files and the layers below so that I can have them made?

Seeedstudio’s required layers:
    Top layer: pcbname.GTL
    Bottom layer: pcbname.GBL
    Solder Stop Mask top: pcbname.GTS
    Solder Stop Mask Bottom: pcbname.GBS
    Silk Top: pcbname.GTO
    Silk Bottom: pcbname.GBO
    NC Drill: pcbname.TXT

Thanks much,
    Orlando

The good news is, that you can just rename the extensions ;-)

msop10_dip-Component.pho –> .GTL
      msop10_dip-Copper.pho –> .GBL
      msop10_dip.drl –> .TXT
      msop10_dip-Mask_Cmp.pho –> .GTS
      msop10_dip-Mask_Cop.pho –> .GBS
      msop10_dip-SilkS_Cmp.pho –> .GTO
      msop10_dip-SilkS_Cop.pho –> .GBO
      msop10_dip-Edges_Pcb.pho –> .OLN

If they should complain about the .OLN, the board outline is present in the other layer files as well. But they should figure that out easily.

• Orlando Castillo says:

Fantastic; so PHO is just another format extension but providing the same layer information. I’m sending out an order as we speak. Thank you!
        -O

Just in case I should get asked again. I don’t have any spare adapters anymore.