LED-strip PWM controller

Really small controller board for the most common 12V LED strips.
Dirty Engineer

LED-strip PWM controller

Postby Dirty Engineer » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:08 am

I received several kits today and was truly impressed with how small they are. That being said, putting them together will be very interesting. Is there a file available for a solder mask for the board? Also are the C(1,2,3,) components polarity sensitive? Finally is there a download of the circuit diagram as seen on the EEVblog?

robert
Site Admin

Re: LED-strip PWM controller

Postby robert » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:19 am

Polarity of the ceramic capacitors does not matter. Just make sure they go into the right spots.

You can get all the design files here and here.

Dirty Engineer

Postby Dirty Engineer » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:21 am

Doh, all the information I asked for was right there, I just failed to look deep enough. Thanks for your patience.

I'm kicking myself for not ordering a pogo key programmer. I won't make that mistake on my second order. Is there a certain ISP programmer that you would recommend?

robert
Site Admin

Postby robert » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:39 am

I've been using an avrispmkii clone (ebay) for quite some time and I'm happy with it, but I'm not sure if it's still available. I bought it to be able to program the newer Xmega chips, which requires "PDI" support.

If all you care for is programming "the usual" attiny / atmega chips via "ISP", you should be OK with any of these (in no particular order):

* usbasp
* usbtiny (adafruit)
* Arduino-ISP
* avrispmkii

I don't know which OS you use, so you may or may not have to install drivers. Some of these programmers may not be able to program devices with more than 64kb of flash memory, best to check the vendor page for specific chip support. This obviously won't be an issue with the ATtiny13, but I thought I should mention it.

Dirty Engineer

Postby Dirty Engineer » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:20 am

Thanks for the input. I did some searching and came up with "this" (edit). What do you think? It seems to have decent documentation and the addition of the logic analyzer seems useful.

(Seems I'm not allowed to post linked url's yet)

eBay item number:130957221330

robert
Site Admin

Postby robert » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:37 pm

I think I may have taken a look at that one too. It seems to be based on the same firmware as my one, so I guess it will be alright. Like the additional features. Logic analyzer could be useful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVRISP-mkII-com ... 0957221330

Return to “Tiny LED-strip PWM controller”